Arundel began as a Saxon village. The original castle was founded on Christmas day 1067 by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel one of William the Conqueror’s most loyal barons. He was awarded a third of Sussex with the stipulation that a new Castle be built near the mouth of the Arun to protect the approaches to Sussex from attack. Following the civil war Arundel Castle lay in ruins. Nothing was done to rectify the damage until about 1718 when Thomas, the 8th Duke of Norfolk (1683-1732) carried out some repairs. Charles Howard, the 11th Duke (1746-1815), known to posterity as the ‘Drunken Duke’ and friend of the Prince Regent subsequently carried out further restoration. Arundel Castle was extensively restored again in the years 1890-1903.
It was one of the first English country houses to be fitted with electric light, lifts and central heating. The building plan bears a great similarity with Royal Windsor Castle. Today Arundel is a popular tourist destination famous for its Georgian buildings. Queen Victoria (1819-1901) came from Osborne House with her husband, Prince Albert, for three days in 1846. Arundel Castle is now the home of The Duke and Duchess of Norfolk and their children.